Applications are now being accepted for the Jamaican Women of Florida “Powerful Women…Next Generation” scholarship.
The scholarship, renewable annually, is awarded to a first or second generation, Jamaican-American female high school student attending college in Fall 20156. Valued at $1,000 yearly, the scholarship will encourage the recipient to achieve her four-year educational goal at a tertiary institution. So far, two students have been recipients of the JWOF Scholarship.
In order to meet the criteria for the scholarship opportunity, the applicant must be a resident of South Florida, and have a high school graduating 3.5 GPA, which has to be maintained throughout the tenure of the scholarship. Applications must be submitted by Thursday, March 31, 2016. As part of the qualifying criteria, the candidate is required to demonstrate commitment as a volunteer in community projects by performing a minimum of forty (40) hours per semester. In addition, the candidate must compose an essay (not more than two (2) pages, double-spaced), explaining why she should be awarded this scholarship. The applicant’s study program should also include credits in International Studies and/or Women’s studies, if available.
Jamaica Women of Florida
The Organization awards a renewable scholarship, annually, to a high school student accepted in a tertiary program, first or second generation Jamaican, to encourage the recipient to achieve her four-year educational goal at a tertiary institution. The annual scholarship is valued at $1,000.
Criteria for obtaining scholarship:
Applicant should be a resident of Florida:-
- Applicant must be of first or second generation Jamaican descent.
- Applicant must maintain a GPA of 3.5 throughout the tenure of the scholarship.
- Applicant’s study program should include credits in International Studies and/or Women’s Studies program, if available.
- Applicant must demonstrate continuous involvement in volunteer community projects. (At least 40 hours minimum required per semester) and continued through the college duration.
- Applicant must write a two (2)-page, double-spaced essay explaining why she should be awarded this scholarship. Essay must be. Applications must be received by Thursday, March 31, 2016.
- Advertisement will be done through community news release via print and broadcast media, churches, schools, and social media networking.
- JWOF scholarship committee will review applications and select recipient(s).
- Payment of Scholarship will be awarded directly to institution (or directly to the recipient at the discretion of the committee).
- JWOF scholarship committee will monitor students each semester throughout duration of scholarship by reviewing their grades (will request for certified transcript).
- JWOF scholarship committee reserves the right to seek repayment from scholarship recipient in the event the recipient fails to maintain a GPA of 3.5 or complete the academic semester.
- Decisions by scholarship committee are final.